2019年8月8日 星期四

First month in St.Louis


We arrived St.Louis 1 month ago.
We bought a car, rented an apartment and got some second-hand furniture.

We bought a lot of groceries and start cooking by ourselves.
It is so convenient here because there are many grocery stores nearby. 

We also passed the test for driver's licenses
We made many new friends and reconnected with an old friend, they helped us a lot.
Our children are enrolled in the Clayton school district.
Our house is very close to a beautiful park, a wonderful place for exercise, walking and relaxing.

I am a clinical visiting researcher at the Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Spine division
My mentor is Pro. Munish Gupta.
He is a  great spine surgeon with abundant experiences and meticulous surgical techniques used to treat spinal deformity patients.
He is also a very kind and humorous teacher.
I am so fortunate to be working with him.
I hope I will learn a lot from him this year.
There are other four American fellows in the Spine department for one-year training. 
Wash U is an essential and world-renowned training center in the United States.
Every year, eight new residents come here for the orthopedic training.

The morning meeting here always starts at 6:30 AM, and all participants are asked on time.
The first meeting I participated in was on August 1st.  I was 5 minutes late due to not so familiar with the location of the conference room. After I entered it, there were no other people get in. It means that I was the last one.
The lecture course here is very comprehensive, and they have arranged it for a whole year schedule.

The first surgery, I participated in is a young lady with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, Lenke type IV. 
Pro. Gupta did a great job. The Cobb's angle of scoliosis was corrected from 73 degrees to below 5 degrees. Excellent work!

I strive to keep adapting to the environment and keep learning!


WashU Medical Campus